IT 4100: File Systems
Due according to date on Canvas
Begin by downloading the image found here. This is an image of a FAT filesystem that I have created.
Create a partition (of 100M), copy that image into the new partition. (Hint: Use the
dd command). (I.e. on a new partition that is unmounted, do
dd if=fattest.img of=/dev/sda25)
Mount the partition.
After you have mounted it, create a simple text submission file and answer the following questions:
- How many bytes per logical sector?
- How many bytes per cluster?
- How many sectors per cluster?
- How many hidden sectors? What is a hidden sector?
- How many 1K blocks(clusters) does the OS recognize of that partition?
- How many blocks(clusters) have been used on that partition?
- How many clusters does the file foo.txt in the filesystem take up?
- What is the actual file size of foo.txt?
- How much slack space (if any) does the largest.img have?
Submission and Passoff
- Use the Submisions link at the
top of the page to submit your text file to the
Last Updated 02/26/2021