IT 3100: Systems Design and Administration I
System Install 02
Due according to the class schedule.
In this assignment you will create three virtual machines to use in future assignments. Eventually, each of these machines will provide a specific set of services. These are the services they will provide:
- system resources
- file systems
- The file system system should have an 8 gigabyte disk. During the installation, do a manual configuration of the disk space. Allocate a primary partition with 6GB for the / filesystem and a primary partition of 512MB for the swap area. Leave the rest of the partitions and disk space unallocated for now.
- Other systems should have 8 gigabyte disks.
- Create three virtual machines.
- Configure each machine to be graded.
- Submit the text file to the course submissions.
- Check the grading report and fix any problems.
- Add each system’s hostname and IP as an
Arecord in your zone.
- You are free to choose names, but you’ll want a scheme you can remember throughout the semester.
- You are free to assign IP addresses within your assigned values, but you’ll want to use a scheme that keeps things organized throughout the semester.
- Pay careful attention to network settings. Check your notes from class. Some network settings errors will appear to work now, but will cause errors later in the semester.
- Install the
openssh-serverpackage. This is necessary for remote access by you and the grader.
- Follow the instructions for authorizing the grader to access each system.
Authorizing the Grader
On each system, complete these steps, as
wget http://cit.dixie.edu/it/3100/sources/install_key.bash chmod +x ./install_key.bash ./install_key.bash rm ./install_key.bash apt-get install openssh-server
Submission File Format
The submission file is a UNIX text file, and must have this format, exactly!
The file must be named
ip: ip_address_of_one_system ip: ip_address_of_another_system ip: ip_address_of_another_system host: host.name.of.one.system host: host.name.of.another.system host: host.name.of.another.system
For example, it may look like this:
ip: 188.8.131.52 ip: 184.108.40.206 ip: 220.127.116.11 host: resources.dsutux.us host: filesystems.dsutux.us host: database.dsutux.us
Submission and Passoff
- Use the Submisions link at the top of the page to submit your text file with your host information in it.
- Check back at the submissions site for feedback on the completeness of your work. Fix anything that’s wrong. Repeat.
Last Updated 08/07/2020