IT 3100: Systems Design and Administration I
Due according to the class schedule.
In this assignment you will look for files on a filesystem that have permissions that are potential security risks.
On one of the machines
will find all files that meet one or more of these criteria.
- The file is world writable (just give me a count of these, there are many)
- The file has setuid (list them all)
- The file has setgid (list them all)
- The file has the sticky-bit (list them all)
- In some of these systems, you will not be able to access all of the files. Report only those you can access.
- For our purposes, directories are files, include them in the search.
- For our purposes, ignore other other file types.
- Be sure to only include files that are on the local drive. This is important! (-mount command)
- Create a list of all such files. If there is a subdirectory that has many problem files in it, it is sufficient to list the subdirectory, and that it has lots of problems.
Submission and Passoff
- Submit a PDF with your list to the instructor via the submission page.
Last Updated 08/26/2020